Where is the Environmental Health and Safety Office located?

Walter J. Pinchbeck Maintenance Building Room 138.


Who should I call in the event of a fire?

If there is a fire, call 911 and UNCP Police and Public Safety at 910-521-6235.

Can I use the elevator during a building fire emergency evacuation?

No. Elevators shall not be used by building occupants during a building fire emergency evacuation.

Where is my designated exterior assembly point?

Building evacuation exterior assembly points can be found here: UNCP Building Evacuation Locations.

Hazard and Incident Reporting

What should I do if I notice a safety hazard on campus?

If you recognize a hazard or unsafe condition, you should report it to your supervisor or to the Environmental Health and Safety Office. Submit an email to safety@uncp.edu or call our office at 910.521.6792 or 910.775.4772.

How do I report an incident that resulted in an occupational injury?

Report occupational injuries to your supervisor immediately by using the Employee Incident Report Form. Follow the Accident Reporting Instructions at the following website: bit.ly/2eZTLhp.

Where do I go for occupational injury medical treatment?

If your injury requires medical attention, seek treatment at one of the Medical Providers Authorized for Work-Related Injuries. Follow the Instruction to Injured Employees guidelines here: bit.ly/2wUoEbf.


What are the safety training requirements?

Safety training is required based upon your work environment.

How do I register for safety training?

Many training courses are available. Contact EHS at safety@uncp.edu for classroom registration or more information.

Office Safety

Is my computer workstation safe?

Review the Ergonomics Fact Sheet to perform a self-evaluation of your office workstation.

Does EHS pay for new office equipment?

EHS does not purchase any equipment for departments on campus. Equipment purchase is up to the discretion of your department.

Can I use a space heater in my office?

Prior to approval of space heater use in any office, contact Terry McNish at 910.521.6681 to conduct an HVAC survey of the space. No space heater may be used that violates the NC Office of State Human Resources Space Heater Use Program.

Building Safety

Are buildings inspected?

Yes. Buildings are routinely inspected by EHS for unsafe conditions and code violations.

Can I use an extension cord?

You are not allowed to use “household use only” extension cords on campus or any extension cord in place of permanent electrical wiring. Therefore, heavy duty extension cords (with the third ground plug) are allowed for temporary purposes, such as accommodating the wiring needs of a meeting or setting up special lighting for a couple of hours. Multi plug adaptors, such as cube adaptors, unfused plug strips or any other device not complying with NFPA 70 are prohibited.   Contact EHS at safety@uncp.edu  with any questions.

Can I store combustible or flammable materials in a mechanical room?

No. Storing combustible or flammable materials in mechanical rooms is prohibited.

Can I store materials in hallways or in stairwells?

No. Storing materials in hallways or in stairwells is prohibited.

Is it okay to leave stairwell doors propped open?

No. Stairwell doors should never be propped open, unless they are interconnected to the fire alarm system.

Laboratory Safety

Who certifies laboratory chemical fume hoods?

An outside vendor inspects and certifies chemical hoods on an annual basis or upon request.

How do I dispose of hazardous chemical waste?

Contact EHS at safety@uncp.edu. We have hazardous waste pickups twice a year one in the winter and the other in the spring.

How do I know I am wearing the minimum required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) before entering a laboratory space?

Review the hazard warning signage posted at the entrance of the laboratory. If there is no PPE requirements listed, you can enter unless otherwise instructed.

Can I eat or drink in laboratory?

No. It is strictly prohibited to eat or drink in laboratories. The storage of food and drink in laboratories is also strictly prohibited.

Special Events and Decorations

Do I need to complete safety permits prior to scheduling an event?

Safety permits are required for various types of events. In most instances, contacting EHS 30 days prior to your event will ensure all safety permits are submitted and approved in a timely manner.

Are burning candles and incense allowed in buildings?

EHS must approve the use of candles or incense in university buildings. Unless for ceremonial purposes, burning candles is not permitted in university buildings.

Are fireworks permitted on campus?

There is a general prohibition on fireworks on campus, which means you are not allowed to use sparklers or similar devices anywhere on campus. Fireworks are strictly prohibited.


© The University of North Carolina at Pembroke, 1 University Drive, Pembroke, NC 28372-1510 - 910.521.6000