How do I make an appointment? – Come by the CAPS office for Triage from 9am-4pm Monday-Friday. Students are seen that day and no appointment is needed.

Will you tell my parents/faculty? – No. All student counseling services are confidential unless you are under 18. In that case, we must be granted permission by a parent or guardian, but the content of the sessions will be confidential.

What if I want to change counselors? – You may change counselors at any time. The only thing we ask is that you let your existing counselor know so any concerns can be addressed and a referral to another counselor can be made.

Do you have medication services? – Yes. We offer psychiatric services to students who are current, active clients of the CAPS. Speak to your counselor about how to get scheduled for a psychiatric evaluation.

Do I have to pay for it? – No. As long as you are a currently enrolled UNCP student you can obtain counseling services for free.

How long will I have to go to counseling? – As long as you and your therapist feel it is necessary and as long as you are enrolled at UNCP. Many students find only a few sessions are enough. Some require more. Talk to your counselor about what is appropriate to meet your needs. Referrals to outside agencies will be made if needed and when you graduate or leave the university.


© The University of North Carolina at Pembroke, 1 University Drive, Pembroke, NC 28372-1510 - 910.521.6000