The Career Center supports the mission of The University of North Carolina at Pembroke by providing students and alumni with resources and opportunities that promote comprehensive career development, life-long learning, fulfilling lives, and engaged and responsible citizenship. We partner with academic and student development departments as well as with employers and community stakeholders to design and implement collaborative student-centered programs that meet the needs of diverse students and facilitate self-discovery, experiential learning, career exploration, education, and planning, and employment readiness.
Specifically, our goals are to help students:
- Learn more about their interests, personality, skills, and values and understand the roles these factors can play in major and career goal-setting
- Access and research information on domestic and global educational and occupational trends to make educated decisions regarding academic program selection and professional and career development
- Actively seek and engage in co-curricular opportunities (e.g., student leadership roles, community service, internships, on-campus employment, etc.) to gain experience and develop skills valuable on the job market
- Be proactive and harness the resources available to them to take ownership of their career decisions and planning during and after college
- Develop competitive self-marketing tools (e.g., resume, cover letter, elevator pitch, interviewing skills, personal statement, portfolio, etc.)
- Use technology to identify rewarding and suitable career opportunities and develop and implement effective job-search strategies and career plans
- Connect with alumni, employers, professional organizations and other similar constituents to learn more about the world of work, establish and expand their professional support network, and create a springboard for potential future career opportunities
- Understand the fluidity of career development across the lifespan and manage career transitions successfully
The Career Center engages in the ongoing assessment of its programs and services to evaluate its effectiveness in promoting student learning and to continuously improve its initiatives. Additionally, as a resource to the campus community on student employment and workforce data, we contribute our findings to institutional outcomes assessment and also communicate them to appropriate academic and student development partners to better inform their decisions and enhance student success.
(Last Revision: 2/25/2015, 4:23PM)
Discover a World of Opportunities!
Our services are not just for seniors, or for particular majors. You will find details on what we do by clicking on the links to the left. Let us know how we can help you today! Please read our terms.
All information contained within this web site can be provided in alternative formats upon request by contacting Accessibility Resouce Center.
The Career Center
PO Box 1510
Pembroke, NC 28372-1510